Cooking in a Sauna?

Aug 12 2010 Published by under Food & Cooking

Ribeye steak cooked sous vide for 2 hours at ~127°F

One of the recent culinary discoveries in our household has been cooking meat sous vide.  The process is pretty simple: meat is placed in a plastic bag from which the air is removed, then the bag is sealed and submerged in a temperature-controlled hot water bath1 until the temperature of the meat is the same as the  temperature of the water.

A thick steak takes 2 hours or so to reach 125°F (51°C, rare) or 130°F (54°C, medium rare). The resulting meat is cooked evenly all the way through. Searing it for 30 seconds in a very hot pan to make it nicely brown on the outside is optional.

Salmon doesn't require as much heat as the beef. It's can be cooked nicely after 45 minutes at 120°F (49°C). Some even cook it at 116°F (47°C) or lower temperatures.3 That's not much hotter than the summer temperature in desert towns like Palm Springs, where the average high in July is 108°F (42°C).

Bathing or cooking?

People even voluntarily expose themselves to much higher temperatures (70-80°C) in saunas. Which raises an interesting question: why don't people cook when exposed to the same temperatures so effective for cooking meat and fish?

Charles Blagden - a British physician and scientist - studied that very question in 1775. Using a room that was hot enough to boil water (236°F/113°C), Blagden made observations on the effect of heat on both his own body and a dog.

As he reported to the Royal Society4, the dog panted and held out its tongue, but the symptoms did not show evidence of "ever becoming more violent that they are usually observed in dogs after exercise in hot weather; and the animal was so little affected during the whole time, as to shew signs of pleasure whenever we approached the basket [the dog was resting in]." After an hour in the heat, a thermometer placed between the thigh and flank of the dog read 110°F - higher than a dog's normal body temperature, but significantly cooler than the room. Blagden acknowledged he had a bit of trouble taking the measurement, and he thought that what he recorded was likely higher than the dog's actual temperature.

Blangdon's demonstration that the dog's body temperature could stay cool in a hot environment was an important one. But there was the possibility that the thermometer used to measure the room's temperature was grossly inaccurate, which would invalidate his results. The obvious control experiment was to see what happened to meat placed under the same conditions.

To prove that there was no fallacy in the degree of heat shewn by the thermometer, but that the air which we breathed was capable of producing all the well-known effects of such an heat on inanimate matter, we put some eggs and a beef-steak upon a tin frame, placed near the standard thermometer, and farther distant from the cockle than from the wall of the room. In about twenty minutes the eggs were taken out, roasted quite hard; and in forty-seven minutes the steak was not only dressed, but almost dry. Another beef-steak was rather overdone in thirty-three minutes. In the evening, when the heat was still greater, we laid a third beef-steak in the same place : and as it had now been observed, that the effect of the heated air was much increased by putting it in motion, we blew upon the steak with a pair of bellows, which produced a visible change on its surface, and seemed to hasten the dressing; the greatest part of it was found pretty well done in thirteen minutes.

Thermograph of a "cold blooded" snake wrapped around a human arm.

So under conditions where a steak will quickly become well done, dogs (and humans) are able to maintain close to their normal body temperature.

As Blagdon observed, humans shed excess heat by sweating, which cools the body when it evaporates. We also flush, as blood flow increases to the skin. The fur on dogs would make sweating ineffective, but panting serves the same purpose. That ability to regulate our internal temperature is why humans - and all other mammals - are called endotherms.

Of course shedding excess heat can put an enormous strain on the body. Last fall three people died and 19 were hospitalized after a sweat lodge ceremony lead by a New Age "guru". And just last week there was a death during a sauna competition.

I say leave the high temperatures for steaks and chops, where they can do the most good.

Update 8/14: My husband pointed out that I should have included a link to this post at Sous Vide Cooking, in which a scientifically minded sous vide enthusiast  brought  a vacuum-sealed steak to a Swiss steam bath that claimed to be at 55°C (131°F) - perfect for cooking steak.  You'll have to read the post to find out how well it worked.

1. We2 started out with the beer cooler sous vide setup, which only requires a beer cooler, resealable "Ziploc" plastic bags and a digital meat thermometer,  but have graduated to a digital thermostat controlling water temperature in our CrockPot. And while steak sous vide is delicious, the most striking results have been with pork chops and chicken breast  - both of which turns out very moist and tender.

2. And by "we" I really mean that my husband has done pretty much all the equipment setup and experimentation with different prep methods and meats, and I have happily eaten the results.

3. The best reference guide for sous vide cooking is mathematician Douglas Baldwin's "A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking", which covers preparation, temperature selection, cooking times, and  food safety in detail.  The illustration of eggs cooked at different temperatures is especially cool (65°C eggs are the best!).

4. Blagden C. "Further Experiments and Observations in an Heated Room"   Phil. Trans. 1 January 1775 vol. 65 484-494 doi: 10.1098/rstl.1775.0048 (full free article)

Top Image: Steak ©P.Kolm; Middle Image: "Badstuga, efter illustration" (via Wikipedia);  Bottom Image: "Stranglesnake" by Arno/Coen of (via Wikipedia)

25 responses so far

• Jim Schrempp says:

You have convinced me. I'm going to take the sous vide plunge. I'll let you know how it comes out.

• peggy says:

Do it! If you need technical specs, drop me an email.

• Mark says:

Back in college I used to cook "dishwasher fish." A pat of butter, slice of lemon, a little paprika, wrap in foil, place in bag, turn it on. mmmmm.

• duncan says:

It's because we're alive. The soul keeps us from cooking.

• spot says:

there are different means for the reaction of human or animal bodies to overheating.
    that separates us from steaks.

the comparisson made in the article is like saying that a 200 pound human can swim in water while a 200 pound stone would sink like... a stone!

to come back to my first point:
    heat can be transported away from the body via conduction (transmission across matter. for example from oven to pan to steak), convection (fluids or gas which are transported and the heat within is transported as well, for example hot water in your heating system at home), radiation (sun) and evaporation (sweating).

in human temperature regulation evaporation (sweating) and convection (pumping hot blood away from the core or concentrate it in the core) are the most usefull means.

for evaporation to work, there must be low steam pressure around you. if the air is already saturated with water sweat will not evaporate and thereby cool your body. it will just run down your body with little effect.
    thats why temperatures in turkish steam baths are significantly lower than in saunas.
    thats also why the steak in the "experiment" is in a plastic bag so it will not shrink into a dry piece of biltong or jerky but becomes english well done.

that article was stupid, btw.

• Rex says:

Your comparison of a human to a stone is stupid. I human is made of meat, while a stone is made of stone. A comparison of human to steak is more valid, as both are made of meat.

• Zuska says:

Mmm, I want to try! What I really want to try are the eggs.

• Church says:

Hrm. I'm reminded of the (minor) fad of engine block cooking from a few years ago. Seems to be largely the same idea. (You'd wrap food in foil, position it somewhere in your engine, and when you arrived at your destination it'd be done.)

• peggy says:

Mark: I'd be worried about potential mess using a dishwasher

Zuska: the texture of the eggs takes a little getting used to, since the whites end up softer than the yolks, rather than the firm white/runny yolks of soft boiled eggs

Church: I would think engine block cooking used pretty high temperatures vs. the relatively low cooking temperatures and long cooking times sous vide uses. It's actually great for the cuts of meat that you would normally braise - for example lamb shoulder at 131° for 24 hours.

• Mark says:

Never a mess. Always firm, moist, and tasty. If you're worried, put a plate over the bag. I didn't specify -- lemon slice is round. Important. Come to think of it, bag is unnecessary. Tried it and it didn't melt, but not required.

I think I invented microwave popcorn, too -- before they turned on the gas in my apartment. Memory lane, man.

• Świat fizyki sprawdzian do pobrania

• na tej says:

Z natury rzeczy sprawdzian gimnazjum

• Beth says:

Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

• I like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the good works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

• bisedo shqip says:

I have been surfing on-line more than three hours lately, yet I by no
    means discovered any interesting article like yours. It's lovely price enough for me.

In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right
    content as you did, the web might be a lot more useful
    than ever before.

• seo says:

No matter if some one searches for his required thing, therefore he/she wishes
    to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

• Hurrah! After all I got a blog from where I know how to actually take helpful facts concerning my study and knowledge.

• Alana says:

• Thank you for any other informative blog. The place else may
    I am getting that type of info written in such a perfect approach?
    I've a venture that I'm simply now operating on, and
    I have been on the glance out for such information.

• Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

• I all the time emailed this weblog post page to all my associates, as if like to read it then my links will too.

• There are 2 awesome benefits of getting and using Heirloom items.
    If you load a ton of information on your already maxed out audience, what do you think will happen.
    Your pet, is your best friend when it comes to questing.

• says:

Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from
    this site, and your views are nice designed for new viewers.

• Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was practical.

Keep on posting!